Re: [RC] western saddles - rides2far

Double R, I was told here (ridecamp) it is comparable to an OF and
the Big
Horn, it's 21 years old.  All leather, too.

If yours is 21 years old it was probably made when the Crates guy owned
RR. Sold my used one made around that time for $200. It's the same saddle
as Big Horn, same building, same company, the Big Horn saddle has a RR
stamped on it. Comparing it with an OF is apples & oranges. I heard it
was their copy of Sharon Saare's saddle. They're totally uninterested in
any input from any rider as to how it could be improved...said they can
sell more than they can make like they are. Most of the people at their
factory have never been near a horse other than the big plastic one they
model the things on. Guess they just copied Sharons and left it at that.
If you liked the 21 year old one you could probably buy the same model
right now and not find any difference. The stirrups were too far forward
for me. I always had to hold the front when I stood the trot...but I'm
really short. A longer leg might help on that.  I've put that bare tree
on horses and it fits a fairly medium build. My husband used it on a
stock type App and on the second day of a long ride it was sore under the
cantle. When we put the bare tree on him we saw that if fit well in front
but the rear was narrow and all the weight was on the edges which were
digging in. My friend used an American made on the same tree on her
stocky App and that's where he was prone to soreness.

Angie

Now includes pop-up blocker!