[RC] western saddles - rides2far

I'm > pulling it back, possibly getting a crupper to help with
placement
and > BTw, how do you attach a crupper to a dressage saddle? I know how
little > t thing that goes under the the saddle, but I wasn't sure how
functional > that was.

I honestly don't think you can hold a saddle in a different position on
the back with a crupper if it wants to drift forward when you're on the
flat. The crupper is set to engage when the horse brings his rear end up
under him going down a hill and it tightens up and keeps the saddle from
sliding forward, but on the flat the crupper should be loose. That saddle
is going to ride up to a place where it find it's niche.

The "T" that goes under an English saddle to hold the crupper is just a
little bar with a tab of leather or biothane going out to the back of the
saddle so you can hook your crupper on. I have just taken a really big
nail and put it crosswise under the saddle and hooked directly to it
before. Worked fine for me with a leather saddle (used for a pony, not
endurance) but I'd be worried that it would tear a hole in a wintec.

If your saddle's a Crates it's a good saddle and should have good resale
value. Do you need it for other horses? Might consider selling it and
trying to find one that fits you both. There are English type saddles
with somewhat western type trees out there. My Express has a western type
tree, is lined up like dressage, has English type stirrups leathers, but
it has a Western seat. (wasn't that something you didn't like?) If you're
small enough and especially if you're short go for a 14" seat. It'll keep
you over your feet better.

Angie

Now includes pop-up blocker!