[RC] time off between rides - Dreamweaver

Well, it all depends.....mostly that is a decision the rider has to make for themselves and if you aren't sure, then err on the side of the horse (caution) and don't do it. I don't know what your ride times were, or if it was a small ride but coming in top ten in a shorter distance ride two days in a row may not be the best way to set up a horse for doing a 50. But then, that also depends on the horses level of conditioning, rider experience and then the course difficulty and how the horse is ridden at the 50 two weeks later. Just be careful that if you are adding distance that you don't add speed, or even ride at the same speed you rode the shorter distance rides at. I know that with my own horses that if I let them go faster, that it will take a ride or two after that to get them back to not wanting to continue at that same kind of speed (esp. Rocky). If a horse is built up gradually they don't need time off, but doing too much too soon can cause accumulative damage that doesn't always show up right away (regardless of good BC scores or vet card scores). Whenever I allowed anybody to ride one of my horses in a LD ride (most of which were unsanctioned back then) I threatened them considerably with bad things if they even dared top ten. I didn't care if there were only 12 horses in the ride <G>. I think shorter distance rides can cause a lot more problems long term for really athletically inclined horses. That is just my own personal experience. I don't think the board should even be sanctioning multiple day limited distance rides without there being some restrictions, as 4 year old horses don't need to be doing that sort of thing.

Karen
in NV