Re: [RC] [RC] white hairs on sides of wither - MtnRondi

In a message dated 10/18/2004 3:39:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, christina_mccarthy@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My
horse is a chestnut and has white hairs coming in on his back side
too...just not as concentrated.  Wondering if it is the saddle or pad (Have
the wintec endurance with cair system) the pads velcro area holding the
loops that keep the saddle on might also be the culprit..I ordered a Tolket
Woolback with gel inserts for the saddle.  Any comments are gratefully
appreciated..

My guess is that it is heat that is causing the white hairs. Wintec saddles can build up heat and some gel pads can also keep the back very hot. I used a gel pad for a while and my dark bay horse started getting a lot of white hair in the shape of the saddle panels. I switched to a Supracor pad and there are absolutely no more white hairs. I also started using a Dixie Midnight pad under the Supracor. That helps dissipate heat and keeps the pad clean.

Bonnie
So. Calif.