[RC] Director at Large Nomination - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Anne Ayala kenayala@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a candidate for a DAL position, I submit some background information to
support my nomination, and invite all AERC members to submit any questions that
they may have:

Message from Anne Ayala, nominee for Director at Large:

Elections for the new Directors at Large for the AERC Board are soon upon us,
and while I would personally ask for your support, I would more importantly ask
that you vote!

Having competed or helped with rides in every Region, and having served on
Committees and as Ride Manager of the Biltmore Challenge (12th year in 2005), I
have had the privilege of knowing many of you.  However, for those whom I have
not yet met, I would offer some background into my qualifications for this
office.   I would turn the clock back to the early 70s when I fell into
distance riding, like so many of us, when a vet friend said, "Come on, you and
your horse can do this!"  Thus began several decades of new trails, new
friends, new goals, and new triumphs (and failures!), and I soon found out what
a huge volume of adventures could be grasped within the discipline of
endurance.  I have enjoyed 50s and 100s, multidays, Championships and intimate
"back yard" rides, all with varying personal objectives: BCs, mileage, seeing
the country, Top Tenning, and just enjoying the campfire rings.  Always trying
to keep the best interest of my horse at the top of my objectives, I am proud
to say that my 4000 endurance miles, and a good part of my competitive trail
miles, have been accomplished on the same wonderful horse, with whom I was
honored to receive the 2000 AERC Pard'ners Award.

I look forward to giving back this sport, as a Director at Large, my experience
and energy to ensure that endurance continues to encourage those qualities that
make it special:
1) care of the horse and support of continued education for riders in this arena
2) courtesy and sportsmanship, which has long been a distinctive quality of our
discipline
3) no-drug policy, a necessity of the demands we make on our horses
4) trail advocacy, a necessary battle which we must continue to fight with time
and funds.

We face the pressures of growth,  and issues regarding the welfare of horses.
We need to strengthen alliances with our "sister" sports that use trails, and
involve more breed groups in supporting shared use of our national equestrian
treasures-the trails whose future we can no longer take for granted.

Above all, we need careful planning to maintain that delicate balance between
competitiveness and fun,  between regulation and flexibility, between valuable
traditions and new directions, and most of all, between care of our horses and
the demands we make on these noble and generous creatures.

I would undertake a position on the BOD with the same dedication and ideals
that have marked my endurance miles, and, if chosen, would welcome your special
input as we work together for the good of our sport.

Professional experience:
Professor of French and Spanish, Rollins College (Winter Park, FL), Lenoir
Rhyne (Hickory, NC),
      and Charlotte Latin School  (1968-ret.)
Kept financial records and filed tax returns for my husband's Professional
Engineering Office
Special Events Coordinator for Biltmore Estate Equestrian Center (manage horse
shows, clinics, competitive trail rides, endurance rides, group pleasure rides,
trail maintenance and planning) 1993-present
Chairman, Public Relations Committee, MANNA FoodBank Board of Directors - 8
years

Equestrian experience:
Competitive trail and endurance rider since 1975 - over 7000 combined CTR and
endurance miles
Manager 12 years-Biltmore Estate Endurance Challenge 50/100, Asheville, NC
Helped organize second endurance ride at Biltmore:  Mountin Hopes 25/50, as
benefit for our local therapeutic riding center
Served as Equestrian Representative on the North Carolina Trails Committee
(Advisory Committee to State Parks and Recreation Dept for allocation of funds
to grassroots clubs/groups for building trails) ? 8 Years.  Helped with
development of shared-use trails in NC in close alliance with bicycle,
OHV,hiking and canoeing groups.
"I" Endurance Judge and Chief Steward for FEI

Affiliations: AERC, Southeast Endurance Riders Assn, Arabian Horse Association,
US Equestrian
Awards:  SERA Challenge Series, AERC Pardner's Award 1998

Letter of Nomination from Maggie Price:

For the past twenty years I (Maggie) have served on the Board of Directors for
AERC, a period in my life which has meant more to me that I can find words to
say.  However, I am nominating someone to take my place as a Director at Large
who I am confident will be more than successful in representing the needs and
wishes of the members of our ever growing organization.

Anne Ayala of Asheville, North Carolina, is know to many of you for her
horseback activities for dozens of years.  I could mention the many rides that
she has done, but it is enough to name must a few to show the many regions in
which she has competed:  Outlaw Trail, Shore to Shore, ROC, Pine Tree, Old
Dominion.

Several years ago AERC rewarded Anne and her beloved horse "Beau" by presenting
them with the coveted Pard'Ners Award for their years of competition together.

In addition to her years in the saddle, she is well know for being the most
organized of ride managers, continuing into her 12th year with the Biltmore
Estate Challenge.  Even Mother Nature has trouble beating down Anne.  One year
when the French Broad River flooded part of the trail at the Biltmore ride,
Anne threatened to have the riders circle the mansion of the Estate 456 times
in order to make up the mileage for the 100-mile ride!  Needless to say, the
river conceded defeat and receded enough to allow for most of the trail to be
passable.

I can think of no one whom I would rather see on the AERC Board that Anne
Ayala.  I urge each of you to cast your vote for her.

Maggy Price