Re: [RC] Torsion Saddle - DESERTRYDR1

I bought one last spring, not too long after I busted my pelvis.  I knew I
would have lots of trouble fitting a saddle to my mule, so I bought it for her.

She's three, not done growing yet, and only barely started under saddle.  So
I didn't get to use it much for a while.  I had ridden in my friend's Sport
Saddle, and was somewhat reluctant to try a different treeless, because hers
was
so uncomfortable.  It put you in a real chair seat, and felt like you were
sitting on an overstuffed sofa, because there was so much padding between you
and the horse.

I have been riding my Torsion for several months now on my Anglo-Arab mare.
Not yet for much over 10 miles, and not on any endurance rides yet due to a
promise I made to my boss.  I have used it at least once in a dressage lesson
with my VERY picky-about-position instructor.  It gets the thumbs up from her
for position, and the thumbs up from me for comfort.

BUT

I did have to make a couple of modifications to it.  It was a western rigged
saddle.  I changed the rigging to English with four nylon dog collars for
billets.  This isn't the perfect solution, but it works.  It uses a very short
girth, which I think disturbs the horse a bit, as the billets press into her
sides.  It doesn't have that sitting-on-a-sofa feel and the stirrups are hung
correctly.  I can hang water bottles off it, haven't yet tried to use a cantle
pak
on it.

Even on my tall-withered Anglo mare it can be a little unstable unless it's
girthed down fairly tight, but I'm pretty well balanced, and so it doesn't have
to be gasping-for-breath tight.

I like it.  Would definitely buy it again.  jeri