[RC] treeless saddles - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am one of Candy's customers that she mentioned.  I purchased a
Barefoot saddle from her and only had a chance to take it on two
hour-long (if that) test rides before riding a 50 in it.  It's an
awesome saddle!  Extremely comfortable for me and the horse.  Only
problem I had originally was the buckle on my English leathers
poking me in the thigh, but by rotating them so the buckle was at
the bottom that was eliminated.

I have ridden a demo of the Torsion dressage model.  I picked that
model because it was the 15" seat (the other demos are 16") and the
stirrups are set further back.  When I demo-ed it, I felt like
I was swimming in that 15" seat (thought I might have needed a
child's model, but then I was afraid that would be too small).
I also felt like the seat was almost too padded, like there was
too much material between me and the horse.  Oh, and while I like
riding bareback (ok, LOVE riding bareback), the Torsion was even
wider than riding bareback.  I also almost felt like I had lost
control of my legs; they were swinging too much and it was a
bit disturbing, this is from a person who often rides bareback
and even bareback with stirrups (gasp!).

Even with those issues, I was still planning on buying a Torsion.
The advantages to the horse made it seem like it was worth it
for the irritations I might have to work through for myself.

But, then Candy announced right here on Ridecamp that she was
expecting a shipment of Barefoot saddles so the waiting period
would be much reduced.  I bit the bullet and bought without a
demo.

The new Barefoot has none of the irritations that worried me in
the Torsion.  It also has the stirrups hung perfectly under my
body.  I have ridden in dressage saddles for years, and even
those have not had the stirrups as balanced for me as this saddle.
By the time the first loop of the 50 was done, I'd worked out
my balance with the new stirrup placement, and was as comfortable
as I've ever been in a saddle.

As for side-to-side rotation, it does have some when mounting,
but I think that's the Equipedic pad not the saddle -- the pad
instructions call for it being tightened several times prior to
mounting and I didn't really do that since I tend to ride with
a loose girth.  Plus I prefer to use some sort of mounting "block"
for my horses' sake.  And as a loonie who rides in a bareback pad
(with stirrups even!), I don't worry much about the saddle
slipping sideways during even the most rambunctous ride.  My
balance is not in my feet. Of course, I also try to train my
horses so that we don't usually have rambunctous rides where
unseating me is an issue.  And I do plan to use this saddle to
start a couple horses that will be started in the next couple
months (a 4 year old of mine and a 10 year old a friend just bought).  I
wouldn't hesitate to use this saddle on any horse
at this point.

Oh, I've also test ridden a Sports Saddle for just a couple
minutes.  The stirrups may be a tad too far forward for me.  I
have heard that from other folks, too.  But, that may have just
been that particular model and it's stirrup placement.

Even though I bought without a demo, I do think getting a demo
of the various treeless saddles is probably the best way to pick
which one works best for each individual.  I suspect the benefits
to the horses are the same/very similar with each of the major
brands (I didn't try an Ansur due to price).  It really comes
down to what the rider is comfortable with, and we all know that's
an individual thing. :)

~Nicole
www.zephyrarabians.com