[RC] Minors in Tevis - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Andrew Gerhard a_gerhard7@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Congratulations Roxanne Greene
Re: Minors in Tevis
From: Andrew Gerhard

I want to congratulate Roxanne Greene and all of those who stepped over the
line in expressing their opinions and lowered themselves to the level of
personally attacking Courtney for entering a plea of help across the message
board. Your attitudes are those of real winners we can all aspire to; or not!
While most people disagree with allowing Courtney to ride Tevis as an
un-sponsored junior, I personally would like to see her able to enjoy the ride
as the ride as it was meant to be enjoyed; as a personal triumph.
Unfortunately, Roxanne Greene has taken on the role of a dictator not a leader.
She dictates that Courtney should quietly and cheerfully belly-up to the Board
so that they are not ?burdened? by her request. Perhaps it is because Roxanne
is in charge of the juniors and she enjoys that power so much that the tone of
her response became so pushy and authoritative. I?d prefer to believe however
that Roxanne simply wants what is best for the ride and those involved. That is
why she should have stopped her response before stating that Courtney?s request
is ?telling evidence of the level of her maturity.? Many who responded have
made it clear that empathy, compassion and flexibility are of no concern to
many of these person?s in power.
       Although I felt it was unfortunate that the Board of Governors turned
down the request, I understand their position on this matter. I expressed to
Courtney that if she felt passionate about doing the ride in the capacity of an
adult, she would have to remain vigilant to the cause and involve others for
further support. Following this advice; it is clear that Courtney?s
inexperience in appealing for help will remain a stigma more than her lack of
maturity?as some would believe. My suggestion to the rest of you is to keep
things in perspective, not to construe Courtney?s desires as some cocky kid
trying to break the rules.
       As for myself, I am 26y.o. business student at CSUS graduating this
semester. My family has been involved with horses for over 50 years. I am
Courtney?s neighbor and friend. Early this year, she purchased from me the
horse that I finished Tevis, the VC 100, and won the one of the Smokey Killen
rides on. I have sponsored Courtney on one ride and rode with her as an
un-sponsored rider on the recent Gold Country 50. I know her abilities as a
rider and find her to be mature, competent, dedicated, and capable of doing
Tevis. She has met the qualifications set forth by the Tevis committee save the
fact that they discriminate on the basis of age rather than ability.
       To those of you who have stated that, ?rules are rules,? please keep in
mind that rules do get changed. They are changed to accommodate people all the
time. I believe that our request is not simply a matter of discretion but wanes
on the principles underlying the issue. There are a lot of people doing this
ride who need sponsors, most are ?adults.? Courtney is not unreasonable in
requesting to go un-sponsored and should be applauded for taking on a daunting
task.
       Thank you all for addressing the subject, but please don?t cross the
line and turn this into a forum for personal attacks. That is a sure sign of
immaturity.

Sincerely,
Andrew Gerhard
a_gerhard7@xxxxxxxxxxx