From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 1:02 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Minors in Tevis

Please Reply to: Andrew Gerhard a_gerhard7@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ==========================================

Subject: Congratulations Roxanne Greene
Re: Minors in Tevis
From: Andrew Gerhard

I want to congratulate Roxanne Greene and all of those who stepped over
the line in expressing their opinions and lowered themselves to the
level of personally attacking Courtney for entering a plea of help
across the message board. Your attitudes are those of real winners we
can all aspire to; or not! While most people disagree with allowing
Courtney to ride Tevis as an un-sponsored junior, I personally would
like to see her able to enjoy the ride as the ride as it was meant to be
enjoyed; as a personal triumph. Unfortunately, Roxanne Greene has taken
on the role of a dictator not a leader. She dictates that Courtney
should quietly and cheerfully belly-up to the Board so that they are not
"burdened" by her request. Perhaps it is because Roxanne is in charge of
the juniors and she enjoys that power so much that the tone of her
response became so pushy and authoritative. I'd prefer to believe
however that Roxanne simply wants what is best for the ride and those
involved. That is why she should have stopped her response before
stating that Courtney's request is "telling evidence of the level of her
maturity." Many who responded have made it clear that empathy,
compassion and flexibility are of no concern to many of these person's
in power.
       Although I felt it was unfortunate that the Board of Governors
turned down the request, I understand their position on this matter. I
expressed to Courtney that if she felt passionate about doing the ride
in the capacity of an adult, she would have to remain vigilant to the
cause and involve others for further support. Following this advice; it
is clear that Courtney's inexperience in appealing for help will remain
a stigma more than her lack of maturity.as some would believe. My
suggestion to the rest of you is to keep things in perspective, not to
construe Courtney's desires as some cocky kid trying to break the rules.

       As for myself, I am 26y.o. business student at CSUS graduating
this semester. My family has been involved with horses for over 50
years. I am Courtney's neighbor and friend. Early this year, she
purchased from me the horse that I finished Tevis, the VC 100, and won
the one of the Smokey Killen rides on. I have sponsored Courtney on one
ride and rode with her as an un-sponsored rider on the recent Gold
Country 50. I know her abilities as a rider and find her to be mature,
competent, dedicated, and capable of doing Tevis. She has met the
qualifications set forth by the Tevis committee save the fact that they
discriminate on the basis of age rather than ability.
       To those of you who have stated that, "rules are rules," please
keep in mind that rules do get changed. They are changed to accommodate
people all the time. I believe that our request is not simply a matter
of discretion but wanes on the principles underlying the issue. There
are a lot of people doing this ride who need sponsors, most are
"adults." Courtney is not unreasonable in requesting to go un-sponsored
and should be applauded for taking on a daunting task.
       Thank you all for addressing the subject, but please don't cross
the line and turn this into a forum for personal attacks. That is a sure
sign of immaturity.

Sincerely,
Andrew Gerhard
a_gerhard7@xxxxxxxxxxx