[RC] [RC] Tevis 2005-long-PLEASE READ - Courtney Giardina

Hi everybody!

For those of you who don't know me, I ride in the Western region and I've been doing endurance for about 8 years of my life (I'm going to be 17 soon). I work at a local feed store (Echo Valley Ranch), and doing Tevis has always been a dream of mine. For those of you who know, the rules for Tevis is that you have to be 18 or older to ride unsponsored, no exceptions. My whole goal has been to influence this in some way, or hopefully change the rules. I've been riding unsponsored for a few years now, and I'm not looking forward to going back and relying on someone else. I used to switch sponsors a lot and it never seemed to work out. Now that I'm independent, I can COMPETE which is a dream come true. I love it, and I got second place on a ride this summer (NASTR), it was a rush! I train by myself, compete by myself, and do my endurance rides by myself. I wouldn't have this any other way, as I'm an independent person and so is my horse. Of course, Tevis is a much harder ride. I'm a local to Auburn though, and I've ridden the whole trail before. I do night rides in the canyons a lot, and I'm completely familiar with the terrain. I've volunteered at Franciscos/ white oak flat (that one year) for about 9 years, and I've crewed for riders. I've done a ton of other endurance rides (don't check my record,.. most of it's wrong- i promise it'll be fixed). Anyways, I'm a very capable person overall, but I still get a lot of discrimination with my age. I've talked to the Tevis office about the possibility of making a loop-hole for capable juniors. Richard Goodwin was very helpful in the situation, and he gave me some advice on how to get to the board. I wrote a letter to the board members, and I was planning on going to the local meeting off of Foresthill. After talking to the president, mike picket, he told me that he would present it to the board (which he did), but it was decided to not take action on my issue. They said it would be great to have me ride as a junior, but I feel very strongly against this, mostly for the reasons above. It is a dream, and I'll do what it takes to get me there. This year though, I know I'll be ready for it. I just bought a new horse, and you never know what can happen in a few years. For all I know, something will go wrong in the next couple years, and I've always been a determined person. I try and live life while I can, after all you never know what can happen. If I'm capable, I really do feel that I deserve a chance. My awesome friend, Andrew Gerhard, has ridden with me when he sponsored me,and other times. He's for this cause of me riding alone, as well as other endurance riders I know. Matt Scribner was given permission by Wendell Robie to do Tevis as a 17 year old, as well as Hal Hall. Not that I think Im better than other juniors, or I should be placed in the league with Hal Hall. :D
So basically, I'll stop rambling, but I've been trying to fight for a cause I believe in, and I'm just running in place. The Western States people told me there was nothing I could do, but I will continue to fight this, without losing any of their respect. They try to uphold Mr. Robie's way of doing the ride, then shouldn't they honor this? AERC lets me ride unsponsored, so liability shouldn't be that big of an issue. My parents would happily sign any paper. I could do any other 100 mile ride, unsponsored, just fine. We all know about the forbidden fruit though!!:D. Anyways, email me with any questions, comments, ect. I will stand up for what I believe in, and the Tevis was meant to be ridden how each individual rides. Thats all I'm asking for. If I got a lot of endurance people behind me I think it would help. Letters or calls to the Tevis office would be great, ask me if you have any questions. There's no sense in helping me ouat unlesss you know where I'm coming from. I'll also be at the Endurance party this weekend in auburn.. SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I REALLY NEED YOUR SUPPORT! hehe..Thanks everyone. My cell phone is (530) 906-0235 if you would like to get a hold of me. Let' make something happen!!
~Courtney and Kiefer- Tevis '05 here we come!
(courtneygiardina@xxxxxxxxxxx)