Re: [RC] [RC] Tevis 2005-long-PLEASE READ - SandyDSA

Wow did this ring familiar when I read it, having raised - and not finished yet - two teenaged daughters! From the perspective of rules being applied evenly and fairly, I would take exception to any one BEING an exception, especially since the rules like thsi are in place to protect individuals with either limited experience or maturity. In addition, as my own youth and that of our daughters have demonstrated, truly, 16 or 18 or even 20 years of age are not exactly the best years to make decisions borne of wisdom. As I have tried to teach our daughters, independence is the flip side of repsonisbility, and as a MOTHER, the responsibility for the safety - physical and otherwise - is still mine. And you need to hear thisCourtney - I know in MY heart that I would NEVEr forgive myself if something happened to one of my daughters because I indulged either my tremendous pride in them or indulged their own desire for autonomy in their decision-making. There WILL come a day but the day is not now. My 17 year old has ridden unsponsored for the better part of 2 years now, after having competed with a sponsor since she was 9; in addition, she has attended and done well at shows since she was 8. None of that leads me to believe that an endeavor such as Tevis shoud be taken on by a minor person, no matter the experience, if those who are in charge and are purported to know best feel it is not appropriate.
    In the end, I personally get uncomfortable when people feel they should be the exception, whether it is stopping at a stop sign or a situation like this. Los Angeles county does not allow juniors to ride stallions in public places for organized events, and so our daughter did not ride our docile and well trained stallion at a handful of rides that she could have. She skipped the rides. The poster who commented on learning patience is correct - if there is one lesson to learn in life (and some of us take longer than others to learn it:)) it is patience, most certainly where animals and children are concerned. And remember to be a 17 year old - each young person - be who you are now, because you will never get to give it a rewind. Enjoy how old you are now so you don't look back wistfully later.