Re: [RC] Question about fear - Lif Strand

At 01:43 PM 10/5/2004, Dyane Smith wrote:
On the other hand, stallions can and do protect their mares from being
stolen by another stallion.

Ha! I *knew* someone was going to mention that, but I didn't include anything about it because being stolen by another stallion is not a safety issue for the herd. The stallion is not protecting the herd from danger, he's protecting his breeding rights.

In the same way, both my younger horses protected my oldest horse when they
were in pasture with a lot of young, spook and spin geldings.

Some individual horse might display some behavior that appears to be protection from bullying, etc. I've seen it myself. However, this again is not a safety issue, it's not about protecting another horse from becoming dinner. A horse that spooks is reacting to a perceived death threat.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/