Re: [RC] Question about fear - Becky Rohwer

> I was reading some emails on "Fear" that some people had emailed in. I had a question: Do horses really trust us enough that they could learn not to spook while your riding them? I have a 14 year old NSH mare whom I've owned for several years,to this day she will spook at any possible threat on the trail. I thought that sence we've been together for so long she would trust me and feel safe enough not to do this. Kind of like the trust a small child has in a parent.<

     I don't think a horse will ever totally not spook at something.  I have ridden my mare for 8 years now, she is currently 16.  Sometimes she will go down the trail and never miss a beat.  Other times we can be going down the very same trail and she will spook at something for what reason I have know idea.  Although she rarely spooks with out some type of notice.  I may feel a hesitation in her step or can see her take a look at something.  When I see these possible spook alerts I just say something like "I see it" or "Yup".  Often times that is enough for her to know that I am aware of what she is concerned about and she will go by without another thought.  But there are still times we come to the dead stop, the long way around the object, or the pussy foot it's going to eat me routine.  If only they could talk.

Becky R. - Montana