Re: [RC] ultium and other high tech feeds - Spirittxarabians

We started feeding Ultium in February, just to our endurance horses. We started out feeding the same amount of feed that each horse was getting when we were feeding Purina Race Ready. By the end of the 30 days, our endurance horses were getting too fat, even though they ran one 50 mile ride during that time. There coats were also more shiny and they lost their winter hair before the other horses. So, we reduced how much we were feeding and switched all of our horses to it, except for the 29 yr old who still gets Equine Senior. It costs twice as much as some feeds, but you only have to feed 1/2 as much, so the cost works out to be similar. We have 18 horses in our barn, 14 are on Ultium. One could not handle all of the fat (gave him diarrhea), so we feed him 1 lb of Ultium and 1 lb of oats twice a day. Two of the less active horses got so fat that we had to put them back on Purina Strategy. Our 21 yr old gets 1/2 Ultium and 1/2 Equine Senior. The Purina rep in our area suggested we move our pregnant mare to Strategy if not now then at least by the time she is 7 months in foal. She looks so good now we don't want to switch her yet. Our endurance horses are eating a smaller quantity of grain now, so they consume more hay, which we like. Large quantities of grain is one of the things that has been linked to ulcers in high performance horses. We like to keep weight on our horses and sometimes they look a little fat at the endurance rides, but one of our fat endurance horses just took BC in the 50 at the LLano Estacado this weekend. So, yes, we like the feed. :)

Selena Copeland
Spirit of Texas Arabians
9797 Prairie Flower Trail
Princeton, TX  75407