Re: [RC] Tennessee Hurricane/generators - Truman Prevatt

When I was out of power for a week, my computers were down. I had to drive to my other office - where I do my classified work - just to do anything. We could not generate invoices - we were dead in the water. I looked around for the 3Kw Honda for the simple reason it could be used around the house for running the frig and it would generate clean enough power to run the computers. It is big enough to kick on an RV A/C - the 2 Kw isn't. But there were none to be had. I can find the 1 Kw and 2 Kw models around here, but nothing else.

Do you know how much rain FL has received in the past 5 weeks? There is no forest fire problem. Now come April that's a different story. The other nice thing about the Honda is they have a USDA qualified spark arrester/muffler. Not all generators do and can not (legally) use a generator in the national forest that don't.

With a million or so without power from Ivan and almost a million still without power from Charley and Frances - it will be awhile before there will be many available.

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
As of yesterday my local Quality Supply had a couple of 2Kw ones for $999.  I guess we are to far from the storms here.  I expect that they will not get any shipments for a number of months. The other nice thing about the Honda generators is they run an inverter, which is a solid state thing that produces the 120V AC.  This means that they produce "clean" power that will not fry computers and other  electronics.

The potential for annoyance relates to the time and distance.  After I go to bed, even a quiet generator right next to my rig would frost me.  The noisy ones drive me nuts even during the day.  One MN ride needs a generator to pump water, and on Sat. afternoon the RM runs the generator for 4 hours cooking supper.  Even placed 50' back in the woods, this noisy beast makes conversation impossible when it is running.

By the way, I am aware of the forest fire/generator connection, it just was not a problem at this ride in MN.  The same would hold true in Florida right now.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."