Re: [RC] Was saddles... Now Boots and Tendons - heidi

I (happily) don't know what they recommend out here now, other than I
know at least 4 local vets who would say NO to sports medicine boots.

Maybe we should ask our vets online here.

I sure hate to see the heat held in.  A roll cotton wrap in the acute
stages with vetrap or something similar may be necessary, but the sooner
the horse can do away with it, the better.  Maybe about as long as it
takes the horse to get home from where he got hurt, so he doesn't get
edema around the injury standing in a vibrating horse trailer....  And in
the acute stages, the thing needs to come off frequently anyway for
initial cold therapy and then heat therapy once the inflamation is under
control.  After that, rehab is a matter of putting just enough stress on
the tendon to keep fibers healing in the right direction, but not enough
to redamage it--that's where the stuff like TENS units, incrementally
increased exercise regimens starting with hand-walking, etc. come into
play.

On the other question, my mare did all her competition miles with
splint boots in front (around 1000 total).  She was the type who when
startled would clip one front foot with another.  That resulted in a
bruised sesamoid and a handful of times where she clipped her inside
cannon right below the knee. How she avoided splints I have no idea.
Now she doesn't do that any more and hasn't worn boots for 2 years.

The boy hasn't interfered, so no boots for him.  However, when doing
rocky rides where the trails go between boulders, boots to avoid
lacerations from slipping on rocks.

Ditto here.  Some of my horses have NEVER had to wear splint or
interference boots.  Two of the horses we started last year needed splint
boots and one needed interference boots their first season but don't need
them this year.  Hubby just started a new horse on his first ride on Day 2
of Owyhee High Country--now there's a ROCKY sucker!  He never did hit his
front legs at all, but he did whack his hind fetlocks a bit starting about
20 miles into the ride.  I followed him down the trail quite a bit, and he
was still traveling wide enough behind--but the fatigue was making him
nick himself from time to time in the rocks.  So he will wear interference
boots behind for a bit, from the first or second vet check onwards, but
watching him move, it won't be for long, I'll wager.  Every horse is an
individual--only use what that particular horse tells you he needs.  If he
doesn't need them, they are just a place to collect sand and grit and
alkali and stickers, to cause sore rub spots--and to hold heat in that
you'd just as soon wasn't...

Heidi