RE: [RC] Helicopter news and advice - heidi

Don't forget  that your daughters flight involved Helo maintenance crews
[Helicopter and medical equipment staffs], the Pilot, 2 flight nurses, a
doctor on the radio at the hospital, the fire crews and paramedics on
the ground that made the Landing Zone safe and the radio Command center
staff that coordinated the entire rescue plus the Air Traffic
controllers that cleared a direct flight path though the bay area for
the helicopter to fly safely.  It took a heck of a professional team
effort to make sure your daughter got the best care possible.....

Bless you for speaking up for the wonderful service that various life
flight folks provide.  I'd add in addition to the things you've listed the
cost of all the portable life-saving equipment that these flights
carry--you're darn near in a mobile ER when you're in one of these things!

While I didn't have a horse crash in the boonies, and my ride was on a
small jet instead of a helicopter, I'm nonetheless eternally grateful for
the Life Flight that got me out of our tiny remote mountain town a couple
of weeks ago and into a surgical center.  Yep, there's "sticker
shock"--but being one who has the additional risk factors of multiple
antibiotic allergies, the price of the flight compared to the price of
hospitalization had I been delayed in getting to surgery to the point of
rupturing an appendix is CHEAP.  Never mind the fact that it meant
considerably less surgical trauma, hence I was on my feet within hours and
home the next day, and endurance riding again less than two weeks later.

I've been on the other end of it, too--in a ride camp or on the trail with
injured riders, waiting for the helicopter, and the sound of those rotors
is some of the sweetest music on God's green earth.

Those of us who live in remote areas, who participate in sports like ours,
or who even drive the highways routinely owe you folks a big THANKS for
your professionalism and availability--yeah, you're expensive, but life is
worth it!

Heidi