Re: [RC] PoundHorses/Mustangs - heidi

Just a couple of comments here...

He's not a BLM but a registered Kiger born in
captivity from 2 wild(BLM) horses.The twist here is that
I know his sire,Steen's Vaquero,who only one yr after being
captured (at 2yrs old)was winning at open &
mustang shows in reining,working cow,hunter hack etc,
which said to me this colt HAD a pedigree,mustang or not.

The Steens Mountains group (Kiger group) is a fairly consistent group, and
is the result of the very sort of breeding I talked about earlier--the
local ranchers being very selective about what stallions were turned out
in the early days.  One CAN identify specific groups like this and have a
much better chance of getting a good horse from them than from simply
looking at feral horses across the board.

That said...

BTW, there were no Arabs as Dressage in the Wine Co., except for a breed
demo of a Shagya Arab
stallion, who was handled on a lead.....and not terrible well behaved
either.......

It sounds like this show was an exception to the norm, as the #2 use for
Arabs in competition (slightly edging out Class A shows) is to show them
in Open competition such as dressage, jumping, etc.  The "powers that be"
in the Arabian show world were downright stunned at the response to having
a separate Sport Horse Nationals--it drew over 1400 entries (all dressage,
jumping, hunt seat, etc.), a great many of which had earned their
qualifications in open competition against all breeds, since so few Class
A Arab shows have been offering such classes.

I did some checking on the number of Class A shows in Region IV (where I
live) vs the number of endurance rides in the same geographic area (about
half of the NW region of AERC), and looked up the numbers of entries at
same--I can't find my notes on my desk at the moment, but there were
roughly 8-10 times as many Arabs involved in endurance rides in that
geographic area as there were involved in Class A shows last year, if
memory serves, and WAY more endurance events than Class A shows.

Between the endurance rides and the popularity of the Sport Horse events,
it is pretty clear that the average amateur Arabian owner/rider is not
into the show scene either...

Heidi