[RC] Camp Far West - sandy . l . holder

Howdy folks,

Over the past 3 - 4 weeks, I haven't had much time (too much traveling for business and all free time working with my boys) to really read ridecamp much but I couldn't resist posting about the Camp Far West ride.

To me it was a scorcher so I improvised and jumped in the creeks (shoes and all) at each opportunity, and there were plenty.  The trails were EXTREMELY well marked, I mean, it was difficult at best to find a 'tree on the right' to hang ribbons from but again the ride folks improvised and literally hung ribbons from stalks of grass and painted (assume wash away) signs on rocks, etc.  I'm a classic case of if you can get lost, I'll probably be the one and there was no way to get lost on this ride.

Many Kudo's to the ride management for a great ride (yum on the food), the vets who consulted with me when my boy wasn't quite right before the start (slipped on a rock on my training ride and kicked his front foot - so a no starter),  to Dick Carter, gentleman and long time endurance rider, for letting me 'steal' his horse (he made me wear his helmet with DICK on it though) to ride the fastest 50 I've ever done on a horse with an incredibly beautiful ground covering smooth trot;, to the farrier - who wouldn't take money but allowed me to keep riding by fixing lost shoes; to BILL (not Bob - hope you know who you are) who rescued me when I lost one of those shoes and loaned me his easy boot; and to the guy (sorry didn't catch your name) riding the grey mule that loaned me his scoop so I could scope myself down and both our boys at one of those stream crossings; and to all the folks I had a chance to ride with on that beautiful day (Cliff Lewis, Tom and Nadine's daughter - sorry but I forgot your name - on the dun colored mustang/arab cross, and the gal I cantered with - a first for me - a bit on the last loop); and before I forget, thanks especially to Star - an incredible horse who was all A's at the post ride vet check!  Dick does and wonderful job with his little herd of horses.

So folks, it was an incredible ride with lots of comradery (particularly Tom the massage guy, Celeste my good riding buddy, and April who 'fixed' my grey boy).  Anyone that can make this ride next year should definitely try to do it.

Thanks and that's all folks,
Sandy