[RC] papers & age - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anyway, no papers on a horse; well, every time they get sold they
get younger and younger.

This is a real potential problem with unpapered horses.  Another
is simply not knowing the pedigree -- even if pedigree doesn't
"matter" to someone, they may find that they want to know someday.

Case in point: a friend of mine has an Arab gelding that she got
for free with no papers a few years ago.  He's supposedly
registered, but the  folks who gave him to her "lost" his papers.
Anyway, she adores this gelding.  He's a fabulous horse.  He's
incredibly sound in mind & body.  The problem?  She's been told
several different ages for him.  He's likely between 18-22.  Not
knowing if he's at the high end of that scale, she has only
taken him to a couple LD rides and now doesn't want to ask him to
do more although he did fantastic and I think he could keep
doing LD indefinately. :)

Now she wants to buy a "real" endurance prospect.  She wants to
continue in the sport, and wants to find a horse "just like
Winnie."  But, because she doesn't have his papers she doesn't know
his pedigree.

So, while pedigree and papers did not matter when she got this
gelding, she's found that they would have been valuable to have.
If she had them, she'd know how old he is and she'd have a
starting point to figuring out where all his fantastic traits
came from.

I'm not being "arrogant" saying that papers have a value even in
a non-breeding animal.  And I'm not saying the lack of papers
make a horse "poor quality."  (No one else here has said that
either that I've seen.)  But, here's just ONE example of someone
who found she'd really like to have those papers.

~Nicole