Re: [RC] sweeps & auctions, buying prospects - Truman Prevatt

That's sure how I do it. Good conformation, good legs and feet. I also like a low resting heart rate - sub 30 is very nice. I like them 15 + with 15.2-15.3 being perfered. Then a brain helps - but I don't mind a little hot. I can deal with that. And if they are calm to start with I can usually fix that and get them reved up.

For my wife, she likes they calm. Personality is next - can we deal with each other and become buddies and spend a lot of time together. Then its the vet check - what does the vet think.  By this time I've probably made up my mind if it's a fit or not. I would not buy a horse that didn't satisfy the forementioned requirements no matter what name is on his papers. If he satisified the above requirements and micky mouse was his dad - I'd still buy him.

Truman

Nancy Reed wrote:

This is a very timely subject for me.   I am looking for a new horse for myself. [No, nothing wrong with Lyric, she has been repossessed by my daughter and they are a team.]  I have looked at all kinds of horses, Varian, Rushcreek, Polish, Egyptian, etc.  My first and most important criterion is conformation.  If the horse has straight legs, good bone, is well but together and moves well, then I look at personality.  Will the horse get along with me, my daughter and Lyric? My new horse will be a part of the family and needs to fit into our happily dysfunctional team.  I do not consider breeding until late in the decision process. It is more important to me that the horse has a sound body and mind than names on a piece of paper.

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."