Re: [RC] Why by from the killers? - Lif Strand

At 09:26 AM 9/3/2004, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Darn few "random" rescue horses have been successful.

Thank you Heidi - you have taken the concept further than I had gone and refined it in a way that makes sense. I took a break from thinking, and as I was out messing around with my horses, I realized that there was a simple thing to do to make the situation clearer.

Remove the price from the discussion at this point.

My argument then becomes clearer. As Sandy has pointed out as well, it's not where you buy from, it's how many known qualities of the horse can be matched with desirable qualities for endurance. If you can save a horse of *known* history from the killers, then there is less gamble associated with that purchase. I merely object to the idea of buying any horse *as an endurance prospect* from anyone, anywhere without a known history.

You want to save a horse? Save it, and you most certainly have my applause for doing so. But don't confuse saving horses with making a wise endurance prospect purchase unless there is much more to that purchase than a kind eye and decent conformation.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA