Re: [RC] Why by from the killers? - SandyDSA

The last statement below is aboslutely the best reason to acquire an auction horse and is wholly admirable. HOwever, comma, it is a HUGE gamble, since there are unseen issues that can surface later that have nothing whatever to do with  build or a kind eye, such as health history (worms, illnesses, troubelsome foalings in the case of a mare), poor genetics (despite the occasional quality looking horse from conformationally tragic lines:)); mental and training issues that surface as a horse is challenged both mmentally and physically - and make no mistake, endurance IS as much as mental sport as physical. Many well put together horses, such as my own Raffon mare, had real issues with the stress and strain of the actual event. In ehr case, she has worked through a great deal of this, and yet she has been a long time coming, and is now in her late teens with a few years left to actually enjoy her better but still challenging competition ...style:). Indeed, the  high priced horse is not going to be better suited and certainly not by virtue of its initial cost. That said, I want to know that a horse i Buy (even though I prefer to breed our own) has had health and farrier care, quality feed and training, and was at least the result of reliable breeding practices and lines. That costs money to someone, generally the breeders, and it does have to trickle down somewhere. If it costs me more to "buy" the training years and medical work, it is worth to me rathe rthan lose a horse, which we did on one pelassantly inexpensive mare a few years ago - who died as a result of a worm infestation from a few years before we even met her. It was sad.
I do not see the auction as that big of a "gamble" if you have a good eye
for a well built horse with a kind eye.  Sure, the horse you pick may not
turn out to be suited to endurance; but the high priced horse may not
either!  And you will have better luck getting your money back out of the
"reject" than the pricey one.  And you might just save a good horses life.