Re: [RC] Reactor Panel Saddle Experience - Lynne Glazer

Jim and T,
I didn't use a breast collar either, for the first 2 years of RP use, and was very pleased about it. Then that accident happened at Tevis with Debby's horse and I started using one as "insurance", even though I'd ridden accidentally with a girth that was two fists loose on a rainy day at mountainous Caspers Park with the saddle not moving. (That was stupid, we recommend the girths be snug but not tight so that all those foams and sorbothane won't bounce around causing discomfort to the horse or a trampoline effect for the rider! I don't like using any extra gear (don't use martingales either), won't use a crupper though as many do as safety gear--it's an individual decision.

That scenario, horse loses rider, gets turned around and bolts down a trail--hitting trees/branches on the way, saddle could be turned under the belly anyway. I know Jim's horses are trained to the point that it wouldn't be an issue but mine probably aren't! :-)

p.s. Jena has intended to try an RP for real for a long time, we just haven't gotten together yet.

Lynne