[RC] Reactor Panel Saddle Experience - Jim Holland

Jena, you really should try an RP and let Lynne fit it for you.  I was
somewhat taken aback by the shoulder thing when I got one for Magic.  The
panels were really different, and it looked odd to see them stick out over
the shoulder. Initially, they actually "paddled" up and down a little as his
scapula rotated. However, after all the money I had wasted on saddles that
didn't fit my horses and/or didn't fit me, I had nothing to lose. I tried
THREE different RP saddles, before I found one that felt right to me. RP
patiently kept sending me saddles. I was impressed by that and the phone
support, since I had to fit it myself.

I didn't like the seat in the first trial saddle....raised my voice a couple
of octaves after several hours. :) The second one had thigh blocks, and was
too hard on my skinny legs going downhill. The last trial was the Avant
Garde. I loved the saddle from the minute I sat in it.  I really gave it a
workout for three weeks here in the mountains.

The first thing I noticed was that after a few days, Magic no longer
"winced" when I put the saddle on his back...he just relaxed and dropped his
head.

The second thing I noticed was that the panels had "conformed" to his back
shape.  When I looked at the bottom of the saddle, the panels had changed
shape to match his back exactly, and the fit across the shoulders was
better. The panels formed a gentle curve from his scapula into his back
behind the withers.  There is no rigid tree edge to restrict the shoulder
motion. Magic's shoulders are asymmetrical, but that became irrelevant with
the RP, since I could adjust each side of the saddle independently, and not
just the panel contact point, but the position of the contact point on the
tree.

The third thing I noticed was that the saddle flaps conformed to
me....wrapping around under my legs and providing a very secure seat.

The fourth and most important thing is that prior to purchasing the RP,
Magic had completed ONE of his first 5 rides. He now has completed 7 in a
row, two in the Top Ten. For one of those, I borrowed Jerry Fruth's "County"
dressage saddle. I liked that saddle, but it had a pressure point on Magic's
larger shoulder. With the RP, Magic will now canter easily on either lead,
do flying lead changes, and his trot is much more free and relaxed.

The fifth thing I noticed was that after the saddle conformed, I no longer
needed a breast strap or crupper.  I rode the OD 50 without either. I also
love the fact that I don't have to worry about a separate saddle pad, since
there isn't one...just "panel covers" that Velcro over the panels.

I spent several days with Carmi Weininger during her recent tour of the
Southeast and set up a few fittings with my friends in the area.  I got to
see a LOT of horses with saddle problems and learned a lot about fitting an
RP, the options available, and how it works. She offered to pay me for my
help, but I declined....I learned a lot. Actually, I probably should pay her
for the "training", not only on saddles, but about a horse's "way of going"
under saddle as well. Magic's response to weight changes and leg aids are
much "lighter" with the RP, and the contact is closer. During one of our
fittings on the tour, I mentioned that and Carmi said, "If your horse is
experiencing pain from the saddle, your leg aids have to be stronger than
that pain to get a response." Seeing the change in my guys with a
comfortable saddle made a believer out of me.

I ordered a second saddle for Sunny.  Yes, the second saddle strained my
budget.  However, for me it's about the horse. I ask a lot of my guys. Their
welfare comes first.  I see people at Endurance rides with expensive trucks
and trailers, but riding their horses in saddles that not only fit poorly,
but leave visible back injuries. When asked, they usually say, "I can't
afford a good saddle". If necessary, you could give up going to rides for a
while in order to save the money for a good saddle. Whatever saddle you use,
make sure it fits your horse, whatever the cost.  There are tools and people
out there who can help you do that. IMHO, it's a small price to pay for what
your horse does for you.

As Howard would probably say, "They will have to pry my RP saddle from my
cold dead body".

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic