[RC] Explosive Reactions - Aaron Turnage

I sit here, perched on the edge of my chair, after
taking a very hard fall this weekend at a ride and
landing right on my rear.  This is not the first time
my horse has dumped me.  In fact, in the year and a
half I have owned him, this is the 8th or so.  And I
am TIRED of it!!!

Almost all of the incidents where my horse has dumped
me have been a result of his reaction to other horses.
Once at a ride, another horse started bucking in our
direction and my horse took of bucking as well.  He
bucks VERY WELL, high and out to the sides, with his
head arched in to his chest, very hard to ride.
Another two times, he bucked me off (and has attempted
to unsuccessfully a few more times) because I was
holding him back as the "crowd" left at a faster pace.
He's bucked me off twice at horse shows when another
horse shied at something and he was then spooked
himself.  This weekend, we were coming into the check
as another rider left at a gallop straight towards us
and my horse spooked badly.  He is in a herd
environment at the barn so it's not that he isn't
exposed to other horses on a regular basis.  In fact,
he is the leader of the herd of eight that share the
same field.

When we ride, either by ourselves or with a group, he
can be an EXCELLENT horse.  He is not overly spooky
and usually just does the "drop" spook but doesn't
move side to side or spin.  The problem is he is very
unpredictable as to how he will react when another
horse "freaks out", or takes off, or etc.  I'm at my
wit's end and needing some advice.  The trainer at my
barn has suggested I start carrying a crop and spank
him when he starts bucking.  That and switching to a
different saddle that gives me a little more security.
She thinks he's learned he can "get away with it" and
it using it as an excuse.  I'm not overly sure about
this and don't want to make the problem worse by
getting after him, although I have no qualms of doing
it if it will help.  I feel sometimes, such as when
the group leaves, he is bucking just to be rid of me
but other times, it might just be an instinctual
reaction of his.

So ideas?  Tips?  Wear velcro?  I've given him until
the end of October to improve or I'm going to be
selling him.  I just don't want the risk.

~ Crysta