From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Ed Kilpatrick
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 1:21 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] speed of gaited horses-mike sherrell

hi mike,  that 15 mph in gait was taken with a gps system.  i believe it is accurate, as i have checked time and measured distances independantly to verify the readings on my system.
here is another one for you.  i have a grade crossbred mare on loan from a friend.  this mare is 12 years old, by a paint stallion and out of a draft cross mare.  she is 15.1 and about 1100 pounds.  she has some kind of gait going on at certain speeds, dont know what to call it, maybe like a pace or something.  well anyway,  i checked her max speed in this "flying pace"  or whatever the heck it is,    19.2 mph!    dont know how long she could do it, because we havent had her long or done much conditioning with her yet.
i do a lot of work with gaited horses and have ridden lots of them, paso finos, peruvians, mangalarga marchador, colombian trote/galope, and twh.   ed