Re: [RC] New in CO, first ride questions - Truman Prevatt

While I live and  ride in the SE, I've also ridden in WY, MT, UT and CO.  What Angie describes is pretty much what most of us do in the SE. However, I have found that may be a little aggressive for a ride in CO. Why, in CO you don't have the ever present humity that sucks it out of them that is present in the East.

I found when I ride in the Rockys I cut back on my electrolytes. No I don't electrolyte less often, I just use less electrolytes as  often.

For example I will start preloading a couple days prior - but only with half a scoup (maybe 3/4 oz). On the trail I electrolyte every hour to hour and 1/2 but again only half of what I use in the SE. In the Rockies I would use about 3/4 oz of electrolytes instead of an oz and 1/2 to 2 oz.

The key is to electrolyte often as to replace what they have lost.

Several years ago I noticed on the Shamrock ride in WY (which was hot that year) that if I used my SE electrolyting protocol my horse stopped at every water stop and sucked down gallons and gallons and gallons and gallons then he would stop and pee and pee and pee.... He peed about every 7 miles. That was on the first day. On the next day I rode I cut back on the electrolytes and he was much more normal.

Electrolyte replacement is based on science but it is really an art - the art of knowing your horse. If you error - error to the side of giving too much since the horse will get rid of them by peeing them out. But watch your horse to reach the proper balance for your horse.

Truman

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."