[RC] New in CO, first ride questions - DreamWeaver

Some of the questions that I have are, do I need to be giving =
electrolytes on my ride, and if so, what kind is the best, how does one =
pack it with them (or does my husband "crew" pack it with him and meet =
me at the vet area?), how often do I give it, and can you make your own =
mix that is still effective?

Hi Shawnee -- I use Enduramax elytes or else Perfect Balance, both in powder form. For the last couple of years I have been putting the powder in the horses feed, and not syringing them. There are pluses and minuses to doing it that way. You need to make sure that putting elytes in the horses food will not make them finicky and not eat. By giving elytes with a syringe, you will know when and how much your horse gets. Usually starting three days before a ride, maybe a day longer if I am going to be hauling a long distance, I will start feeding the horse increased soaked beet pulp and hay. In the beet pulp I add elytes or salt. I mostly use plain salt, because it is cheaper, and also because it has the desired effect -- it gets my horses to the ride well hydrated. I think that pre-ride preparation is very important since how your horse handles the trip there can completely affect the outcome of your ride.

For giving it: Before leaving for the ride, I will put extra salt or elytes in their feed morning and night for 2 or 3 days. Upon arrival at basecamp, I put a small dose in each time I feed soaked beet pulp. I do not feed any grain until after the ride starts, but I do put in some complete feed with the beet pulp the night before. After the ride starts I will put the elyte powder in with their feed for each vet check, depending upon how long the ride will be. I also put some in after the finish, and then for a day or two after they arrive back home. I consider pre and post ride management of the horse to be just as if not even more important than management during the actual event.

Another question I have is about packs that I'll need. What should I =
bring with me on my ride, how do I pack it, and what kind of packs are =
best?

Start out using what you've got, and make modifications or changes as needed. Everybody has a different preference as to where they prefer to carry their water and other stuff, or even what stuff to carry. I have ridden with juniors a lot and tend to carry more than enough stuff to hopefully handful almost any situation that arises.

I buy bungee cord by the yard from the fabric store in shoe-string type width, and use that to help secure down the packs I ride with, that way they don't bounce.

(Both of which I am short of!)  Karen's crewbag and saddlebag pages on =
the Newbie site are awesome! Will I need most or all of those things for =
my first LD ride?

Thank you :-). No, you won't need most of those things. That page is what happens when you get hopelessly addicted to this sport. You really can get by with amazingly little when you need to. I tend to be over-prepared for more things, and the crewbag and saddlebags pages sort of show that.

The last question (for the moment!) deals with rump rugs. What are the =
best kind to get, where does one get them, and what should I expect to =
pay?

Look at the vendors on endurance.net, or else sportack.com I have more than one type of rump rug, some have been ride awards -- I like having a polar fleece one that can be used in most situations. I've also got one that is polar fleece and on top it has goretex so it waterproof (I made it myself). If you have a crew for you in the checks with a blanket waiting, then you can get by without a rump rug for the time being.

Any other ideas or helpful hints, or if anyone would be going that =
wouldn't mind helping out somebody new, I would welcome anything that =
you can offer.

I think having a positive, enthusiastic attitude is an important thing to have, and since you already have that then you are in fine shape. :-) That includes seeking the knowledge you need.

I'm hoping that the new bridle/breastcollar/etc that I've ordered will =
be in by my ride, but I plan on bringing our regular tack too, since =
that is what she is used to.

Endurance Rule #1 is: don't try anything new at a ride. Sometimes you have to, and it works out, but generally speaking try not to change over to something totally different until you have had the opportunity to test it on a few training rides.

Have a great ride, and if you are sore the next day, remind yourself that it does get easier, and more and more fun!!!

Karen
in NV

http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/