Re: [RC] New in CO, first ride questions - rides2far

Some of the questions that I have are, do I need to be giving
electrolytes on my ride, and if so, what kind is the best,

I'm not qualified to tell you what's "best" but I'll tell you what I do.
I would give her a dose of electrolytes the night before, morning of
(after she ate her grain) and at the 1/2 way point in the ride.  I use
home made electrolytes. 1 cup salt, 1 cup lite salt, 1/2 cup Tums
(crushed in a coffee grinder) one dose = one 35mm film canister. I mix 2
heaping TBP of yogurt or applesauce and spoon it into the big end of a
irrigation type syringe (wider opening than one that's made to attach to
a needle). I don't put electrolytes in my horse's feed because he doesn't
like it and may decide not to eat if I do. He seems least bothered by
just having it shot as far back in his mouth as possible. Then I rinse
his mouth out with a few more syringes of water after he's swallowed the
electrolytes.

how does
one pack it with them (or does my husband "crew" pack it with him
and meet me at the vet area?),

I mix mine the night before. I have several syringes. I put them down in
a big zip lock freezer bag and leave them in the cooler. Sometimes I'm
short on syringes and mix at the vet checks. That's when I use
applesauce. If a loop is going to be 2 hrs. or so I may put a big zip
lock bag with a syringe nose down into it (with a cap on the syringe) and
carry it in my fanny pack. I wear a big fanny pack (no jokes about my big
fanny please) You can also just carry an empty syringe and a 35 mm
canister and mix with water somewhere on the trail but that's messy, hard
to do with a dancing horse, and the water doesn't get it in them as well.
There's always the paste electrolytes but they're out of my price range.

Another question I have is about packs that I'll need. What should I
bring with me on my ride, how do I pack it, and what kind of packs
are best?

In my fanny pack I carry an easyboot, a 3' long strip of leather, a
pocket knife, hoof pick, baggie with Advil and a couple of *real* pain
pills in case of major injury, a small piece of toilet paper (nose bleed
on the trail is a MESS without *something*) and 2 water bottles. My
daughter has  the pommel bag that holds 2 bottles. I really don't care
for packs all over my saddle because I don't like dealing with them at
home. I also don't like lifting everything at once when saddling. I'm one
of the few who wears the big fanny pack but I'm used to it and don't
notice it much. You need to be able to crank it up tight to avoid bounce.

'll be riding in an english saddle (Stubben Sigfried),
and being a jumper rider, I've never had to pack anything before.
:-) I'm trying to keep in mind that this is "only" a 25 mile ride,

If your gear's bothering you 25 can be harder on you than 100. :-P

I want to be smart, rather
than cocky.

You sound smart. :-)

Karen's crewbag and saddlebag pages on the Newbie site are awesome!
Will I need most or all of those things for my first LD ride?

I wouldn't add a bunch of new stuff or you'll be strowing it all down the
trail until you learn how to carry it safely. If your ride comes back to
a central vet check and isn't terribly remote there's things you *can *
do without.

The last question (for the moment!) deals with rump rugs. What are
the best kind to get, where does one get them, and what should I
expect to pay?

I won mine. >g< I will say the only time I use it is warming up if it's
raining or very cold, or after dark on a 100. I'd go for something leaves
and hay doesn't stick to and one that won't fall to one side the second
you head down the trail.

As to stirrups, try Easyrides with safety cages. You can shove your foot
all the way in and there's nowhere farther to go. The wide base is great
for long distances. I have the aluminum but plan to try their plastic
next.

Half chaps: I ride with knee length socks pulled up over my tights, and
half chaps. I'm 5' tall and have a hard time finding socks that aren't
too long. Finally learned to buy the official baseball team socks at the
sporting good store. They come in more sizes. I've always had leather
half chaps and since I have a big calf so need mediums but am so short
they want to rub the back of my knee. Learned to take them to the shoe
shop and have them cut down shorter (below the first velcro attachment)
at the top for a good fit. Jody Buttram was bragging on how much she
liked the new neoprene ones she got and I may try those next.

You didn't mention a sponge. Have you sponge trained your mare yet? Is
there enough water in that area to use a sponge or will you be a scooper?

Tips:  When you come into the vet check get all the crud sponged off
before you go to the vet because it will harden up and when you get back
she'll be irritated when she's trying to eat and you're still messing
with her.  Check your shoes early in the vet check. Lay your electrolytes
on top of your bit so you won't leave before giving them.

When you're coming into the vet check go over the mental list of what all
you wanted to do while there...shorten left stirrup, straighten sock, get
gloves.  Do everything early in the hold. Clean your girth, wash out
splint boots, refill water bottles, go to the bathroom, eat, DRINK
(cranberry juice of some sort helps avoid dehyration related urinary
problems)

When you're getting close to the vet check empty what's left of your
water bottles on your horse. You've messed up if  you carry water a whole
loop and don't use it. Your horse will trot out better if you have a lead
rope instead of reins. If the vet line is long get someone to hand you
some hay to feed her after she gets her P&R.

If you're on the trail and want her to eat but she won't, hop off, pull
grass and feed her as you walk up hills or whatever. Once you get them
started they may pick up and eat while you're on them.

On the trail if your horse isn't drinking try riding past the water, turn
around and face backwards on the trail, or if you're in a small group,
make a point of being first in line. The last horse is least likely to
drink. If you're first, ride past water, turn around and face others
everybody will drink better. Don't sponge till they're done drinking.

There's lots of people on here who are better than me and could tell you
more but they don't like to type as much, so you get what you get. :-)
Good luck. You're gonna have a ball!!!

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!