Re: [RC] RE:Horses!!! stop with the... - Bette Lamore

You know, Carol, you may be on to something. The only time Halynov
bucked me was when he was just 4 and was angry because I was making him
wait his turn in our group lesson in going over the cavalettis. HE
LOVED jumping and thought he should be able to go 2 and 3 times in a
row. Well, we did the little he-moved-forward, I reined-backward, he-backed-farther, I legged-forward routine (which I quickly learned is NOT the best way to teach a horse to stand still) and then I felt this "wave" start by his tail and travel up through his back all the way up his neck and I knew I was going to hit the dirt. We were on the part of our race track that was very hard from our truck driving over it (not where the horses exercised) and somehow my body was NOT going to hit the DG so I wound up doing a somersault and landing on my feet with the reins still in my hand--- how it happened, I have NO idea. The instructor looked at me and said "Nice dismount!" and I nodded as though it was my idea---- NOT!
I guess there are some advantages to having more "air time" :-)
Bette

Carol wrote:

I had to chuckle reading all the comments on tall vs. short (or horses with substance). I have no preference other than to say that from personal experience, when you get bucked off a tall horses vs. a short horse you seem to have much more time in the air to think about things, before you hit the dirt. I'm guessing this is because the longer back and legs can launch you higher. : )
Carol

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)