Re: [RC] Height of horses - Lynne Glazer

I'm always surprised when this come up and nobody mentions the difference between horses that "take up your leg" with a decent sized heart girth/spring of the rib cage vs those slab-sided beasts (which is of course where the dangling legs under the belly comes from).

I'm 5'6" like you, Maria. As long as the horse has a decent stride AND a big enough barrel to take up my leg, I don't care what height the horse happens to be, and in fact have hurt myself a little getting off a short horse forgetting they were closer to the ground. ;-)

There's no guarantee that a taller horse will have a good-sized barrel, in fact I've seen a lot of tall "sausages" out there (show stock mostly). Sausages can't wear saddles well either. Those good barrels (along with some withers) also make the use of breast collars and cruppers "optional safety equipment" vs. "must use to keep saddle somewhere nearly in place" items.

You can have a huge heart girth on a radiator-type horse, doesn't have to be a "chunk".

Lynne
When you buy 'em young you don't know what you're gonna get--Ember (15.2), brother Q (15.2) and Twix (a horrendous height at 4 months old, at half Lippizan you know SHE has a barrel, but the stallion is 14.2hh)