[RC] trailer loading - Alice Yovich

I've found some horses are genuinely concerned about the trailer and others
are just trying on their "I don't think you can make me do it" hats. One of
my friends has a fairly green QH.  He loaded fine for his previous owner,
but balks for his new owner just a little.  On the way out to ride, I got a
longe whip and used "my way" of loading on him and then on the way home he
loaded fine for her too. I've found (personal observation) that if I look
at a horse loading, he'll back away from the trailer, but if I keep heading
toward it, and use my whip and insist that we are leading, then there is
never a problem.  Of course, this only works with the horses that aren't
afraid, but just "don't wanna go"

My own mare self loads. I have a stock trailer and she likes to ride
backwards, as does my daughter's pony. Recently I went riding with friends
with a stock trailer. Poor Deli didn't know what to think. She stepped up
in the trailer and couldn't turn around and couldn't go straight in. It
completely baffled her. I loved how she handled it though. She stood there,
half in, half out of the trailer trying to figure out where she was
supposed to stand. Eventually she figured it out, but it was like she was
saying "hey, what's going on in here"