RE: [RC] [RC] Conditioning Miles - What Counts? - Christina Schiro - DRG1

Hi,

I am following the conditioning program of Dr Loving’s Book. I use a heart rate monitor & a GPS.

I am starting conditioning a Missouri Foxtrotter for Competitive trail (CTR). I just started 2 weeks ago from scratch (today is 8/22/04).

I ride 5 miles a day 3-4 times a week for a goal of 15-20 miles a week.

In fact, I believe getting the “5 mi/ exercise day” at a heart rate of 100-140 is the most important thing – it doesn’t matter how long it takes you to do that 5 miles, just as long as its in the training heart rate of 100 to 140 BPM.

I believe doing 20 miles is best done over a period of days, not in 1 15-20 mile trail ride in 1 weekend day (because of less bone stress – its averaged out over several days not all in 1 day – don’t want to make your horse the “Weekend Warrior” hurtin puppy! Even if its not obvious soreness – it accumulates, just like smoking cigarettes. If you hate cigarettes – you should hate doing that too, same thing).

I use a heart rate monitor with training heart rate goal range of 100-140 beats per minute (more important than MPH – although if you want to use MPH as another variable, go for a goal of 4.5 MPH during your training).

I have the Polar s610 so it has software to analyze where she starts tiring etc (ie: heart rate goes up 3-4 BPM over the same distance & speed she just did 10 min ago). But you only need a GPS (for mileage & MPH mainly), & a heart rate monitor that gives the AVERAGE heart rate over your exercise time.

Lunging your horse is OK I think for mileage purposes, but if you can, attach a GPS to the lunging circingle for mileage accuracy (personally, I think lunging – circling - is going to be bad on their legs eventually at these mileages so minimize it as much as possible).

Do this for 12 weeks, then go for advanced conditioning.

My 2 cents, hope this helps & makes sense! J