[RC] Can a horse drown in a two feet deep river !? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sandy Thomson sandyatdock@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Tom and I were out sunday pulling trail markers down from our ride and
heared alot of splashing in the river. Tom walked  to the river bank and down
in the shallow river was a big horse, spinning on its side, kicking and
dragging his head below the water. The rider would attemp to pull his head from
under the water and each time the animal would begin the spinning on his side
and legs kicking out. The rider had to back off. This happened 5 or 6 times Tom
said. As I got there, the horse finally went limp and the rider pulled the
horses' head free of the water and we all got the him to the river bank, it was
difficult to keep his limp body from being pulled down stream in to the deeper
part of the river. If it had only had been me, the horse would have floated
away (with me still holding on).Both Tom and the rider are 200+ men. The horse
made no effort to hold his head up or to stand. He was beathing but
unresponsive to anything and his gums and tongue were pale and dusky, (Ottis, I
would have pulled this one!). After a few minutes the guys rolled him to his
chest and balanced him there at that point color slowly began to return to his
gums. After several attemps, the guys were able to get him up out of the river
and to his feet. The horse had scraps and cuts on all of his legs but seemed
okay. The rider said he was a rescue horse that he was retraining, as he had
thrown other people. He had flipped over backwards in the river this time.
Without intervention, this horse looked like he would have drowned himself, as
he was unable get up out of the water or keep his head up. By the way, it was
not an arabian.