Re: [RC] Electronic Communication on Trail? - Truman Prevatt

If I am not wrong this rule arose to address crews following horses in 100's at end and "hazing it on." That's a real stretch from the use of hand held walkie-talkie's or cell phones. In general cell phones don't work very well where endurance rides are held and hand helds walkie-talkies are limited in range and even more limited by terrain. What they may be good for is a ride to notify his crew that he is coming a half mile or so out - if there isn't a hunk of land blocking the singal - so they can be ready. However, I sure can't see that that falls anywhere in rule 6.

Often times I think these rule are passed without full understanding of what the hell they mean - as you say what is promoting? My horse would like promoting - that means he would get a raise or in his case more food and to him more food would be good;-).

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
"....6k. Not having been paced or prompted by an un-entered, withdrawn,
or otherwise unauthorized equine, vehicle, or a person other than
another entrant. This does not preclude the ordinary support services
of attendants or pit crews....."

This is an interesting rule.  I can understand that nobody would like to have someone have a half dozen horses pacing an entered horse for a ride.  And obviously hazing has a possibility of making a tired horse go to fast, but what is "Prompting?"

If I am a crew at an allowed and scheduled crew stop, and I tell a rider "you are going to fast, slow down", or "You are running second 10 minutes behind, speed up." is this not "prompting"?  It is also an "ordinary support service".

Some have said in the past that radio (remember a cell phone is a radio) communication would be unfair because not all the riders could afford, it or have the technical skills and license to operate one.  At the present time these arguments do not hold water.  FRS radios are cheap, and are operable by small children.  Everyone who wants one has a cell phone.

I really do not care if those I run against use radios or not, I don't even care to use one myself, but Truman may be right and the intent of the rule should be made clear by adding some more words.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."