Re: [RC] [RC] Roundup Weed Control in the Pasture - Truman Prevatt

Well, when it gets hot enough to start growing in March and keep growing till Oct, you got to cut it 3 x a year  or the weeds will take over. The more I cut it the faster it grows, sigh. Of course 40 or so inches of rainfall in the summer does make a difference. Last year I had to cut four times because of all the rain. I know I should not complain - but sometimes all it seems that we do in the spring and summer is cut grass.

I remember when I lived in CO we used to say, CO has three seasons, July, August and winter. Actually I stole that quote form Michener's "Centennial." You guys still have snow on the ground when our grass starts to grow and you have snow on the ground before our grass stops growing. My biggest problem is these pesky vines ( and thank goodness we don't seem to get Kudzu down in this part of FL ) and those damn junk thorn trees and this damn weed that gets seed pods if you let it that spread to the four winds. So it doesn't matter what I do if my neighbors don't control it.

Is it invasive - hell I don't know, it's all invasive if you go back far enough.

The never ending battle.

Truman

Michelle Fink wrote:
Hi Truman,

Both spread by their extensive root systems and seeds...  Tilling divides the plants and makes more of them.  You can get some control by spraying them at different times of year, but our extension service recommends Fall spraying.  Bindweed gets hit with glycophospate, Knapweed gets Tordon & 2 4-D.

Our hot/drought weather combo causes plants leaves and stems to thicken in summer so they don't lose as much water through transpiration, which also makes them not take up as much herbicide when it's hot (I think that's how it works).

Hah, I can't imagine of having the luxury of a pasture that needs mowing once a year, let alone 3x! :-)

Happy Trails,
Michelle
(Colorado)

-

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."