Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Roundup Weed Control in the Pasture

Michelle,

How do bine weed and knapweed spread,  runners, seeds or both?

Most of the true weeds we have seem to spread by seed. The vines - if you wait too long after the start of growing season will take over. When I had an area that was covered in vines, I had to spray three times the first year, then in mid summer the next two years. In general I've found the hotter it is when you use it - the better it works.

As far as my pasture I have cut it at least 3 times a summer for the last 6 years. That has done more to reduce the seed spreading weeds in the pasture as anything. The grass is slowly becoming very thick and chocking out the weeds. I only use spray on the fence rows - mostly vines and where I can't cut.  We have this obnoxious soft wood tree that grows very fast. It has thornes and I had to clear a lot of it out when we moved here. I cut it in the pasture and spray it on the fence rows.

Truman

Michelle Fink wrote:
My experience is a little different than Truman's - in our area some of the
most pervasive weeds (such as bine weed or knapweed) are more vulnerable to
Fall spraying.  I'd second Ed's recommendation - your extension office will
help with determining what to spray and when.

Happy Trails,
Michelle
(Colorado)

--

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->