Re: [RC] [RC] Roundup Weed Control in the Pasture - Truman Prevatt

Michelle,

How do bine weed and knapweed spread,  runners, seeds or both?

Most of the true weeds we have seem to spread by seed. The vines - if you wait too long after the start of growing season will take over. When I had an area that was covered in vines, I had to spray three times the first year, then in mid summer the next two years. In general I've found the hotter it is when you use it - the better it works.

As far as my pasture I have cut it at least 3 times a summer for the last 6 years. That has done more to reduce the seed spreading weeds in the pasture as anything. The grass is slowly becoming very thick and chocking out the weeds. I only use spray on the fence rows - mostly vines and where I can't cut.  We have this obnoxious soft wood tree that grows very fast. It has thornes and I had to clear a lot of it out when we moved here. I cut it in the pasture and spray it on the fence rows.

Truman

Michelle Fink wrote:
My experience is a little different than Truman's - in our area some of the
most pervasive weeds (such as bine weed or knapweed) are more vulnerable to
Fall spraying.  I'd second Ed's recommendation - your extension office will
help with determining what to spray and when.

Happy Trails,
Michelle
(Colorado)

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."