[RC] Sweet itch article - Laurie Durgin

While making a notebook of articles I'd saved I found this:(from Horse and Rider, July 97)
"What you see: A ridge along the crest of your horse's mane where hair is broken and or rubbed off, and thesurrounding skin is thikenced and warm to the touch. The condition has worsened with the rising summer temperatures. What you should do"....
Here are their answers(condensed)This is a seasonal , allergic skin condition...Although it can't be cured, it probably can be managed with some diligent changes in your warm-weather rountine. "..If severe, vet can help, but even the stringest vet. prescrition will fail. ...
1. Clean the skin. to remove insect-attracing Scruf and crusts that increase itching and self-induced trauma...and cause a secondary bacterial dermatitis. ..Bathe with cool water and ild shampoo such as HyLyt efa, or Allergroom.Genluy working suds deep into mane's base,,, Add 1/4 c. of white vinagar to rinse water to neutralize andy leftover shampoo..Allow to air-dry till damp--REPEAT 2X a week until rubbing has ceased for at least a week, then reduce bathing to once a week and continue as needed.
2. Soothe the skin to decrease surface inflammation and itchiness. Use witch hazel dabbed with a cotton ball after each bath and as often as necessary to control itchiness. If horse continues to rub the area, massage an otc cortisone cream into skin up to twice a day as needed.
3. Declare war on Culicoides flies. (no-see-ums, midges, gnats, trigger the allergic reaction).This allergy tends to worsen each year on affected horses and those besieged with fly bites year after year will likely become allergic eventually ( a vet did tell me it took a while, but has seen whole herds affected--he suggested I move;0(
--Make a nontoxic, skin-moisturizindg insect repellent by mixing parts of Avon Skin-so-soft and water in a apray bottle and spray several times a day (I use MTG and it deters the flys-it's the oiliness)
--A mane tamer with velcro when outside during fly season. Also mask and sheet.
--During PEAK Culicoides hours (Twilight to Dawn), bring your horse into a fine screened enclosure. Or use a fan inside your barn to keep out gnats, which are weak flyers off your horse,--Use fly repellents like citronella, pyrethoides and permethrins. Don't apply to inflamed skin.--The next year start diligent amangement early.
If after 2 weeks and not better, you may need to call your vet to help with a perscription.
P.S. I know we get tons of gnats as we have springs and marchy ground in the lower pasture, also they love rotting vegatation. The hatch after lots of rain when it is warm--if I pay attention , everyones ok, but if I forget or get busy or lazy.... Next move, no damp areas>>>>