Re: [RC] [RC] reply to Bob Morris - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Eyewitness testimony is evidence period.  Whether it is sufficient evidence will ultimately depend on all of the rest of the evidence found and presented by both sides.  If the only evidence is one person saying "he did", and another saying "I didn't" (remember since this is the only evidence, we have no way to give either person more credibility) the decision would probably be to the defendant.  You can't have a preponderance if things are equally divided.

In the case of an endurance ride, where no money rides on the outcome, talk of someone having enough interest in the outcome to lie is mostly, if not all, a smoke screen.

This little thought case has been chosen to be an extreme example.  In the real world, the RM usually can find more witnesses, testimony that the trail cutter was suddenly ahead of another rider etc.

If things got to the P&G, all of this stuff would be taken into account in the name of due process.  P&G would then render their decision based on what they consider the proper standard of evidence.  I'd bet that it would be preponderance of evidence, not either beyond reasonable doubt, or beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875