RE: [RC] sweet itch - Susan E. Garlinghouse

>How long does the ground flax stay good at the barn? If I were to grind enough for 2 times per week, would that help any or will it get too hot? Do I need >to go to a more expensive "missing link" or will the flax itself do OK. I was also feeding the flax for joint health.

The ideal scenario is kinda like cooking sweet corn---the very best way is to have the water boiling in the house before you go outside to pick the corn from your field.  I don’t happen to have a field of sweet corn outside my door, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it even when it’s been sitting in a grocery store.  In other words, it would be ideal to grind the flax seed right before you feed it.  Is it totally worthless grinding it once a week, no.  Do what you can to keep it in a cool, dark place sealed away from air as much as possible.  No, I don’t think you need to go to Missing Link.  Try increasing the amount you feed and see if you see some benefits over the next month or so.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM