RE: [RC] Multi-Vitamin - Susan E. Garlinghouse

Since you mention it, yes, I add more vit E and biotin to the mix.  Not every horse needs it or responds to it, but mine do, so I add 1000 IU of vit e and 25 mg of biotin per day.

As for the anticatabolic effects, I couldn’t say.  The primary ingredients providing energy would be flax seed, and I’m not wild about feeding a lot of fat during an endurance ride; or the amino acids, which are somewhat controversial in their effect during exercise.  I do like that my horses really like the taste, and so it’s a handy carrier for mixing in/with other things.  Feeding it free choice during a ride, I dunno.  I think I’d be happier with wet hay, sloppy beet pulp and a little grain and electrolytes.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jennifer Layman
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 6:05 AM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Ridecamp'
Subject: RE: [RC] Multi-Vitamin

Susan,

What about adding more E or Biotin to this supplement?  Doesn't appear to have that much of either.  If you are supplementing fat, do you need to continue that (i.e. oil) with this product?

Do you agree with their recommended feeding for the endurance horse:

Endurance horses: 1-2 scoops twice daily for training. Give free choice at vet stops during races. 8 pounds during a 100-mile race is anti-catabolic.

Thanks, Jennifer

"Susan E. Garlinghouse" <suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use to not think there was a helluva lot of difference in equine vitamins, but these days, I *really* like Platinum Performance.  Better bioavailability of ingredients, especially selenium, and I have clients who have been on a good vitamin program for years and still saw marked improvements when they started Platinum Performance.  Yes, its fairly pricey, but worth it.

Dont feed extra iron.  They dont need it, it can interfere with other minerals and the immune system and anemia caused by a dietary deficiency of iron is virtually nonexistent.  Skip the Red Cell.

Dont mix vitamins, youre more likely to cause problems than solve them.  Choose one and stick to it.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM