Re: [RC] reply to Bob Morris - Magnumsmom

Frances writes:
> [...]
> "I suggest that a clearer, written ruling is the only way to make the issue of
> banned substances go away once and for all."

Frances,

There's not a whole lot more clear than "No Drugs".

The problem with trying to "clear up" the issue of
banned substances is that the minute you try to list
them all you miss the ones that are just being invented.

The problem with trying to allow "just a bit" of bute
is you open the door to "allowable amounts of drugs".

There are gray areas... wormers.  Not one endurance
rider, vet, or AERC BOD member would suggest you NOT
use wormers (atleast I can't think of one off the top of
my head).  Selenium supplementation in certain areas
is not only allowed, but probably encouraged.

The horses First.

(side note: actually the suggestion is to worm at least 2 or
3 weeks in advance of a ride anyways which would allow for
ample "withdrawl" time)

IF we had all honest members who were interested in riding
endurance for the fun of the sport this wouldn't be an issue
at all.  Unfortunately, we have members who decide that the
game is to see how many rules they can bend, get around,
or ignore just so they can "win".  We do award First, Top
Ten, and Best Condition.  Unfortunately, there is more and
more money being introduced into our little small town sport.
Money will only cause more greed issues and cheating as
time goes on.

Cheating *can* bring down our sport.

The sport is supposed to be about the horse, not how a rider
can get around their particular horse's short comings.  The
beauty of the sport is that it's a great day with your horse and
even if you don't Top Ten, you and your horse can still win
by beating the trail and living to ride yet another day... and
accumulating miles and miles together over years and years.

So, why the issue with DMG then?  What's up?  Did you want
to take your horse and top ten?  Why are you so interested in
"herbals" and such?  Now, be honest with yourself!  You want
your horse to do the best she / he can.  However, remember
there is a fine OR NO line between a rider who wants to use
"flower essences" calm their horse at the start of a ride so
s(he) doesn't tie up, and a rider who would like to use "just
1/2 gram of bute" since old Bucky is a bit arthritic these days.
After all, 1/2 gram of bute isn't a pharmaceutical amount, is it?

OR IS IT?  What is the POINT?  The point is to calm down that
arthritis pain just a little until Bucky "warms out of it".  The
POINT of the "flower essences" is to "Calm down" Ruffian at
the start of a ride so she doesn't tie up.

Well Geez.  I don't see a whole lot of difference.  I'm sure you
do, but listen to me and try to understand... I Don't.

Your answer is in your INTENT.  Re-read Rule 13.  The rule is
BRILLIANT.  It's a Good Rule.  It puts the responsibility on the
Rider where the responsibility Belongs.  NOT on the organization
to then try to keep up with those who would say "But you didn't
specifically list androgenetic sulfate!"

There have been issues in the past with positive drug tests and
intent and gray areas and sanctions.  The AERC and having John
Parke as our legal and P&G counsel have brought the AERC great
strides forward (Thanks John!) in interpretation.  There is no room
in our organization for those who would cheat, or those who would
bring down unfair sanctions.

You see, in trying to "clear up" the issue of Rule 13, you would
actually undermine it and completely muddy the waters... like all
the other equine sports.

*I* don't want to go there.
<steps down from soap box>

I would, however, love to see a ruling on DMG.
Damn, Bob.  I totally agree with you.  What's up with that?

:) - Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
... hey, I'm an ENFJ with a slight tendency towards being an
INFJ.  ENFJ's are totally into things being fair, and INFJ's are
totally into things being Just.