Re: [RC] reply to Bob Morris - heidi

There's not a whole lot more clear than "No Drugs".

I'm with Bob and Kathy here.  The drug rule seems pretty clear to me.

The problem with trying to "clear up" the issue of
banned substances is that the minute you try to list
them all you miss the ones that are just being invented.

Never mind that it is impossible to list ALL of the possibilities that
already exist!  The approach of trying to list banned substances is simply
a non-starter, given the complexity of it.  Far better to define the
ethical approach, the way the current rule does.

There are gray areas... wormers.   Not one endurance
rider, vet, or AERC BOD member would suggest you NOT
use wormers (atleast I can't think of one off the top of
my head).   Selenium supplementation in certain areas
is not only allowed, but probably encouraged.

As Kathy went on to say, dewormers should not be given close to a race
anyway--there are changes in gut flora with deworming that can take a week
or more to normalize, and that change should be well out of the way before
race time, never mind any drug rules.  But the case of dewormers also
underscores WHY it is important NOT to be messing with the horse's
biochemistry right up to race time!

With regard to selenium and other trace minerals--if the feed is
deficient, supplementing the trace mineral to the level that SHOULD be in
the feed is still feeding the trace mineral in a normal amount.  And
again, messing with trace minerals in abnormal amounts has metabolic
implications--which goes back to the reason why the drug rule is in place
to begin with--to protect the horses!

The horses First.

Bingo.  The horse does not have an inate need to go to rides.  If he needs
pharmacological help to get there, that SHOULD be the warning signal that
he shouldn't go!

So, why the issue with DMG then?   What's up?   Did you want
to take your horse and top ten?   Why are you so interested in
"herbals" and such?   Now, be honest with yourself!   You want
your horse to do the best she / he can.   However, remember
there is a fine OR NO line between a rider who wants to use
"flower essences" calm their horse at the start of a ride so
s(he) doesn't tie up, and a rider who would like to use "just
1/2 gram of bute" since old Bucky is a bit arthritic these days.
After all, 1/2 gram of bute isn't a pharmaceutical amount, is it?

OR IS IT?   What is the POINT?   The point is to calm down that
arthritis pain just a little until Bucky "warms out of it".   The  POINT
of the "flower essences" is to "Calm down" Ruffian at
the start of a ride so she doesn't tie up.

Well Geez.   I don't see a whole lot of difference.   I'm sure you  do,
but listen to me and try to understand... I Don't.

I've kept this part of Kathy's post intact here--I think it deserves
re-reading.  Kathy is right--what IS the point of taking a horse to a ride
if the horse needs "help" to be calm, or to get past his arthritis, or
whatever?  The horse is trying to tell you that he either isn't ready or
isn't suited to the sport (if he needs calming agents), or that he is past
doing this (if he needs anti-arthritics).

Your answer is in your INTENT.   Re-read Rule 13.   The rule is
BRILLIANT.   It's a Good Rule.   It puts the responsibility on the Rider
where the responsibility Belongs.   NOT on the organization  to then try
to keep up with those who would say "But you didn't
specifically list androgenetic sulfate!"

Bingo.

One thing Kathy did not address was the electrolyte issue.  Frances, you
mentioned that e-lytes need to be given in huge amounts.  I'm not sure I
follow your logic.  I ride horses with NO e-lyte supplementation, and they
have come through great the times we have been able to participate in
bloodwork trials.  I can certainly see e-lyte supplementation within
reason for some horses under some conditions, but again, one gets back to
what is "normal."  E-lytes given in excess ARE damaging to the horse--just
like other feedstuffs overdone.  Large boluses of e-lytes are IMO one of
the causitive agents of ulcers (not the only one by any means, but go pile
a bunch of salt on one of your mucous membranes and see how it feels), and
too many e-lytes can mess up finely tuned metabolic processes as well.
E-lytes are not something to just be thrown in willy-nilly--before one
uses e-lytes, it behooves one to have some understanding of what DOES
constitute "normal" with regard to e-lytes.

Heidi