[RC] Natural Horsemanship - Gardner

I usually don't post to ride camp, just lurk and chuckle. The recent postings concerning natural horsemanship have motivated me to post some of my thoughts.

I have been involved in endurance riding for (gasp) 40 years. During this time I have started somewhere around twenty horses. My horses turned out light and responsive, and I came to think of myself as a competent horseman. Two years ago I was diagnosed as having a brain tumor. After successful surgery I was not physically the same as before The thing I wanted more than anything else was to be able to work with my horses again. I had a 6 year old Karahty son that I had ridden twice before my hospitalization When I was to the point that I was able to get out to the barn again, it was quite obvious that I wasn't up to continuing from the point I had left off with him. I started looking for a trainer to send him to. After meeting with a half dozen or so trainers I didn't find anyone that I felt I wanted to trust him to.

I had heard of Parelli but didn't know much about him or his program. I ordered his level one course thinking that I might be able to do some ground work. It opened up a whole new window in my relationship with horses. I have been working my way through the PNH lessons for over a year now and can honestly say that I have learned more about horses during this time that the previous 30 years. There are no new horsemanship techniques invented. It just takes basic horseman ship techniques that respect the dignity of the horse and teaches them in easy to follow lessons.

I don't mean this to be a commercial for Parelli, there are many others teaching the same horsemanship philosophy. What I do want to say is that this type of training really works. Most all the horse problems that are discussed on Ride Camp can be solved by going back and teaching the basics, both to the horse and to the rider. If you have satellite TV, you can see many of the well known trainers free on RFD TV every night. Watch them, and if you resonate with one particular trainer, go with his program. You will surprise yourself.

Phil Gardner