Re: [RC] BB and clinics - Parelli - Suzi Maiorisi

Holly and I had major issues at the beginning of this summer - I had never really worked her from the ground and 'lunging' was more like hang on while she runs bucking til neither of us could breathe.  I bought several different (Parelli, Lyons, etc) tapes and have also found Parelli to be my favorite.  No, I'm not a total convert and Holly looks at me like I've lost my mind when I shake the rope at her, but we now have control and respect that we never had before both on the ground and in the saddle.  It just helped her (and ME!) figure out that I'm the leader here, and it's making a difference.  WooHoo to riding my girl again, it felt like a lifetime when it was only a month of ground work!
Suzi and muchmorerespectful Holly
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 1:22 PM
Subject: [RC] BB and clinics - Parelli

>Lisa wrote:
>They fall prey to gimmicks and excellent marketing.
>They don't quite get the reasoning behind doing
>something, don't have a bit of feel or timing and end
>up damn near killing themselves and their horses with
>all those "games". I have people at my barn that have
>had broken shoulders, collar bones, road rash and
>lots of falls (gotta ride bareback and God forbid you
>should use a bit even if you are 50 years old and
>never been on a horse before) as well as a tore up
>round pen, all in the name of "games"!

I'm assuming Lisa is referring to the Parelli system,
since she used the word 'games'. I think her reaction
to PNH is unfortunately too common and may stem from
witnessing the results of too many people going to a
clinic or watching a video and then claiming that they
are using Parelli methods when in reality they don't
have a clue as to what he is trying to teach them (the
how and the WHY), and then they get hurt. But, I've
found the opposite to be true. I've recently really
started working (oops, PLAYING) with one of my green
horses, and Parelli's system has exposed the holes in
my horse's training. I'll probably stay with PNH
because Parelli makes it 1) enjoyable, 2)
understandable and 3) obtainable. Maybe I've just got
more common sense than those people Lisa was referring
to. If they're getting hurt, maybe it's because they
tried to do too much, too fast, and didn't take the
time it takes (oh gawd, now I'm almost quoting
Parelli). Kristi (who really isn't brainwashed - I
just like the Parelli system and my horse already
seems to be happier - and more confident - because of
it). iluvdez at yahoo dot com

http://mail.yahoo.com