[RC] BB and clinics - Parelli - Kristi Schaaf

Lisa wrote:
They fall prey to gimmicks and excellent marketing.
They don't quite get the reasoning behind doing
something, don't have a bit of feel or timing and end
up damn near killing themselves and their horses with
all those "games". I have people at my barn that have
had broken shoulders, collar bones, road rash and
lots of falls (gotta ride bareback and God forbid you
should use a bit even if you are 50 years old and
never been on a horse before) as well as a tore up
round pen, all in the name of "games"!

I'm assuming Lisa is referring to the Parelli system,
since she used the word 'games'. I think her reaction
to PNH is unfortunately too common and may stem from
witnessing the results of too many people going to a
clinic or watching a video and then claiming that they
are using Parelli methods when in reality they don't
have a clue as to what he is trying to teach them (the
how and the WHY), and then they get hurt. But, I've
found the opposite to be true. I've recently really
started working (oops, PLAYING) with one of my green
horses, and Parelli's system has exposed the holes in
my horse's training. I'll probably stay with PNH
because Parelli makes it 1) enjoyable, 2)
understandable and 3) obtainable. Maybe I've just got
more common sense than those people Lisa was referring
to. If they're getting hurt, maybe it's because they
tried to do too much, too fast, and didn't take the
time it takes (oh gawd, now I'm almost quoting
Parelli). Kristi (who really isn't brainwashed - I
just like the Parelli system and my horse already
seems to be happier - and more confident - because of
it). iluvdez at yahoo dot com

http://mail.yahoo.com