Re: [RC] Pigeon Fever - abigail Madden

Sandy,

My horse had this a couple years ago.  The vet. didn't want to give antibiotics initially because it doesn't always clear up the infection.  It just tones it down a bit and then when the cycle of antibiotics is done it bounces back.  So, I just had to sit and wait it out.   He swelled up really big.  I would take a bucket of hot water and hold hot compresses on it to try and get the abcess to burst and begin to drain.  Once that happened (about 5 days) I was able to get the tip of an irrigation syringe in there and flush it out.  Sounds like you might have a problem with your guy being in pain and not letting you touch him.  Mine was like that initially, but once he figured out that the hot compresses felt good, he let me do it.

Once it does burst and start to drain make sure you keep things really clean.  The "bugs" in that nasty puss are very hardy and can hang around for a long time.

At least that's what my vet told me.  : )

Good luck,

abigail
Chico, CA

sandy <blanketlady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a five year old gelding with pigeon fever in his scrotom.  The vet saw him over a month ago and said it would just run its course.  He is swollen like a watermelon on one side and a cantaloupe on the other.  There was a small rupture on the cantaloupe side but it is beginning to scare me.  He still pees OK.  any suggestions.  He won't let me near it without kicking.