Re: [RC] Pigeon Fever - Barbara McCrary

Our daughter had a horse once that had pigeon fever in his sheath.  She couldn't see any swelling, but the horse was obviously miserable.  One day it broke and drained, and the horse was so happy that he bucked and hopped around his paddock.  I think that eventually the abscess breaks and drains and will heal, but a vet should tune in on this discussion and give us the professional word.  Heidi, care to chime in on this discussion?

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: sandy
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 8:33 AM
Subject: [RC] Pigeon Fever

I have a five year old gelding with pigeon fever in his scrotom.  The vet saw him over a month ago and said it would just run its course.  He is swollen like a watermelon on one side and a cantaloupe on the other.  There was a small rupture on the cantaloupe side but it is beginning to scare me.  He still pees OK.  any suggestions.  He won't let me near it without kicking.